Table of Contents
Electric Two-wheelers and Environment
As the globe battles with growing air pollution and climate change, ecological health is emerging as a big concern. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, traditional gasoline cars are responsible for roughly 75% of carbon monoxide emissions. Furthermore, the transportation sector is responsible for over 55% of Nitrogen Oxide causing 4.6 metric tons of carbon dioxide per year. Electric two-wheelers, such as scooters and motorcycles, can be a more environment-friendly alternative to traditional gasoline-powered vehicles.
In today’s generation, more than 90% of the population is exposed to bad air quality. Over the years many initiatives have been taken by the government to reduce air pollution. However, the government’s goal of making India 100% electric in the transportation sector has contributed to lower air pollution by 11% in the yearly average of PM2.5(Particle pollution) levels. According to the E- Amrit research, Electric vehicles can use around 60% of the electrical energy from the grid to power the wheels, but petrol and diesel vehicles can only use 17%-21% of the energy contained in the fuel to power the wheels. That is a waste of almost 80%. Although fully electric vehicles release no tailpipe emissions, even when power production is considered, petrol or diesel vehicles emit nearly three times the carbon dioxide as the average EV. Here are the prime factors why electric two-wheelers are a perfect solution for environmental concerns.
Electric two-wheelers are propelled by energy generated from renewable sources. This means that if fuelled by renewable energy sources, electric two-wheelers have the potential to be fully emission-free and sustainable. In 2021, the use of EVs displaced roughly 0.3 Mb/d of oil. To fulfill the Net Zero Scenario, EVs would need to replace more than 7 Mb/d of oil by 2030. We can lessen our reliance on fossil fuels and contribute to a cleaner, more sustainable future by electrifying our electric two-wheelers with renewable energy.
Electric two-wheelers are beneficial to the environment since they emit less pollution than regular gasoline-powered two-wheelers. Gasoline-powered cars spew toxic pollutants into the environment, contributing to air pollution and causing respiratory ailments. Electric two-wheelers, on the other hand, emit no pollutants, making them a clean and sustainable solution. According to researchers, EVs emit up to 43% less pollution than traditional fuel-operated vehicles. And, if the present circumstances continue, India will accomplish its goal of zero carbon emissions very soon.
Electric two-wheelers are also more energy-efficient than gasoline-powered vehicles. Gasoline-powered vehicles convert only 20% of the energy in gasoline into usable energy to move the vehicle. The remaining 80% is lost as heat and other forms of energy. In contrast, electric two-wheelers convert over 90% of the energy stored in their batteries into usable energy to power the vehicle. This means that electric two-wheelers are much more efficient in their use of energy and require less fuel to operate, reducing their impact on the environment.
Electric two-wheelers are more affordable to maintain than gasoline-powered vehicles, which is beneficial for the environment. Oil changes, tune-ups, and other maintenance operations for gasoline-powered automobiles create waste and pollution. Electric two-wheelers, on the other hand, have fewer moving components and require less maintenance. This decreases the amount of trash and pollution produced by the vehicle during its lifespan, making it a more environmentally friendly alternative.
It is no secret that our ecosystem is experiencing various issues, including climate change and pollution. We have a responsibility as individuals to care for our planet and contribute to the establishment of a sustainable future. Making minor adjustments in our everyday lives, such as switching to electric vehicles, may have a big influence on the environment. Electric two-wheelers are a feasible alternative to traditional gasoline-powered automobiles. They provide major environmental benefits, including zero emissions and increased energy efficiency, as well as other benefits like decreased fuel and maintenance expenses. As more people learn about the environmental and economic benefits of electric two-wheelers, we may expect to see an increase in the number of these vehicles on the road in the future years.
Read More:-Environmental Benefits of Electric Vehicles